For your first night at the Basecamp Trapper’s Station, you will only need a minimum of personal items. Bigger luggage can be stored at Basecamp Hotel in Longyearbyen.
Keep warm for the whole northern lights show. If you go inside to warm up, you can bet the northern lights dance across the sky the seconds you are inside. In Norway, we have a saying “there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothes.” We dress in layers and always use wool. Our packing tips:
- Spacious shoes with room for two layers of woolen socks. Air is the best insulation!
- Two layers of woolen underwear as base layers.
- A woolen sweater, fleece jacket or light down jacket and pants are excellent mid layers.
- The outer layer shall protect you from the strong cold wind.
- On cold winter days, a thicker down jacket or parka will make you the winner in crisp air.
- Warm buff for your neck, warm and windproof or lined hat, warm and windproof mittens or gloves.
- If you want to take photos it is essential to have a pair of thinner gloves to care for your fingers.
Good to have with you is indoor shoes or extra woolen socks, leisure wear and casual clothing for dinner, toilet articles, a backpack of around 35 liters for personal belonging, snacks and water during the day trips.