Basecamp Explorer Kenya Wins in the African Responsible Tourism Awards 2018

Basecamp Explorer Kenya was announced the Silver winner in the category for Best Responsible Cultural Experience at the African Responsible Tourism Awards 2018 held in Cape Town during the World Travel Market Africa 2018. Basecamp received the honour for consistently showing support for local people and culture as a basic element to preserving the heritage of the land ensuring it remains habitable for people and wildlife and we are proud of the coveted position. We were also highly commended for our comprehensive and sound response to the integration of the SDGs in the corporate strategy and future Global Goals reporting.

For Basecamp enabling tourist to engage with local people and culture is core to our vision and mission of demonstrating how the conservation of ecosystems requires co-existence between wildlife and humans. By including the cultural aspects of the local Maasai, Basecamp plays a major role in raising the standards of living of the Maasai people and provides a richer, better experience for our guests.

In 2002 we established the Basecamp Maasai Brand (BMB), a community-based handicraft workshop that empowers 158 Maasai women while preserving the traditional Maasai beading practice. As a fair-trade practice, the Maasai women receive about 55 percent of the proceeds which goes towards providing food, clothing, and shelter for their families while the remaining 45 percent goes towards management costs and purchase of materials. Basecamp also supports a capacity building program through education sponsorship at Koiyaki Guiding School (KGS).  Over the last 13 years, KGS has trained over 270 students, 20% of whom are young Maasai girls.

Africa Responsible Awards are organized by Better Tourism Africa, the awards recognize African organizations that offer a good example of how tourism can benefit the local people, the environment, and destinations. The awards are part of a family of regional Responsible Tourism Awards which culminate each year with World Responsible Tourism Day at WTM in London.

Read More


Contact us

Fill in the details and we will get back to you soon.

  • Date Format: DD dot MM dot YYYY
  • Date Format: DD dot MM dot YYYY
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
1 1 1 11111