Covid-19 Health and Safety
Basecamp Explorer Kenya is committed to ensuring that the safety and wellbeing of our guests, staff and community and the ongoing conservation of our ecosystem remain our top priority. We recognize that in light of the impact and changes caused by the novel COVID-19 (Coronavirus) all of us have to be more mindful as we go through our regular activities.
Therefore, in line with the latest recommendations from World Health Organization and the Kenyan Government, Basecamp is reinforcing the appropriate health and safety measures within all camps to ensure the safety of all guests, staff and community without compromising the high standards and quality of safari experience, that you have come to know, love and expect in your every stay with us.
We would like to share with you the elevated hygiene and prevention protocol we have introduced to ensure the protection of your health and safety.
Reservations and Booking Changes
- We highly recommend that our guests follow health and travel advice from relevant authorities like the World Health Organization(WHO).
- Please feel free to contact our reservations team for any queries regarding an existing booking or future reservations, with our adapted Special Terms of Bookings
- Guests booked on shared safaris may wish to opt for the exclusive use of safari vehicle, we encourage pre-booking this prior arrival. Alternatively, we can recommend private safaris and exclusive use of our camps for smaller groups to ensure a private experience not shared with others.
Basecamp Explorer Kenya Health & Safety Measures
- Before you travel, ensure you are in good health and are not experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 which can include cough, fever, sore throat and shortness of breath.
- You will be required to postpone your trip if you are experiencing any of the above symptoms before travelling or if you or anyone you are traveling with, has been in contact with someone suffering from COVID-19 or is suspected of having COVID-19.
- On arrival at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, Government regulated health checks will be carried out including temperature checks of each inbound and outbound passenger.
Arrival and Reception
- On arrival at our camps, every guest will be required to undergo a temperature check and to complete a travel questionnaire.
- A complimentary cloth face mask will be provided to all guests at camp. Guests are also encouraged to bring an extra pack.
- Registration forms and check-in procedures can be processed online before arrival.
- Only cashless payments will be accepted at Camp.
- Guests are encouraged to wash hands regularly with soap and water or utilize the hand sanitizers strategically located throughout the camp public areas and in every tent.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands
- Shield cough or sneeze with a flexed elbow or tissue disposing of the tissue in the bin.
- Staff members have received COVID-19 health and safety protocol training
- Our health and safety training covers everything from handwashing hygiene to the guest room and camp public area cleaning procedures.
- All staff temperature will be checked daily, wear cloth masks and gloves when necessary.
- Frequent hand washing and sanitizing will be carried out by each team member and best practice personal hygiene procedures will be reinforced.
- We will continue to train our staff and ensure they are well equipped at all times.
- Signage and literature will be available in Swahili and English for our support teams/clients to follow best practices and have emergency contact numbers available at any time.
- External drivers will be expected to follow the same protocol as guests.
Guest Tents & Camp Public Areas
- Tents will be thoroughly cleaned and sanitized after every guest checks-out.
- All laundry will be washed at the recommended WHO temperatures
- Social distancing measures will be in place in all guest public areas including reception, lounges, dining, bar and curio shop.
Restaurant and Bar Service
- All meals will be served à la carte with a strong focus on freshness and flavor,
- Picnic snacks will be individually packaged.
- Effective social distancing measures between guests will be practiced.
Safari Game Drives
All our game drive, excursion and transfer vehicles will adhere to the outlined procedures:
- Each safari vehicle will have a sanitizer.
- Maximum of six (6) guests per safari vehicle with recommended distancing between guests.
- All vehicles will have clear entry and exit procedures, entering one at a time, with guests requested to take up seats one at a time.
- The safari vehicles will be sanitized between transfers and game drives. This includes frequent sanitization of the rollbars and handles.
- Binoculars will also be sanitized in the event of sharing during transfers, and game drives.
- Guests will be allocated their poncho for the duration of their stay and these will be industrially cleaned after each use.
- We have an onsite medical team member qualified to administer any necessary first aid to ensure everyone’s safety.
- We will ensure immediate medical attention where required and if necessary we can facilitate emergency medical evacuation procedures.
All our implemented measures will be independently certified in line with WHO guidelines and World Tourism and Travel Council WTTC requirements.
Please visit IATA Travel Centre to get an up to date information on Travel Access, Travel Requirements and Restrictions for Kenya and International destinations.
We look forward to welcoming you to Basecamp Explorer Kenya and the wonderful wildlife experience of the Masai Mara soon!